Mantra is considered to be a powerful remedial measure in Astrology (Jyotish). In fact in some of the cases Mantras are more powerful than gemstones. I mostly prescribe Mantra Chanting to people for propitiating/strengthening the planets rather than the gemstones.
There are two reasons behind it:
1) Gemstones are costly so heavy on pocket.
2) Even after paying hefty amount, you are never sure that the gemstone that you have got is original.
Mantras are equally powerful but the only thing is you have to invest some time in the chanting. Based on the purpose, Mantras have been categorized into 6 categories :
1) Shanti (Pacification): Meant for the destruction of diseases, general well being and emancipation. These are known as Satvik Mantras.
2) Vashikaran (Captivation): Through these mantras, you can put under your control any woman, man, officer, minister, soul, animal etc. These mantras are Rajsik.
3) Stambhan (Immobilization): Meant for mentally or physically obstructing a person or group. These mantras are Rajsik.
4) Videshan (Dissention): These mantras are used for creating differences between couples or close friends or allies. These mantras are Tamsik.
5) Uchchattan (Aversion): Meant for making a person hate another person or place. These mantras are Tamsik.
6) Maran (Eradication): Meant for causing the death of a person (or enemy). These mantras are Tamsik.
Please remember that if you use the mantras to harm anyone for your own interest, you are also not going to be spared and will definitely see the adverse effects of harming someone. So, we have to be very careful about the use of mantras. With great power comes the great responsibility.
image source: http://www.dreamstime.com/tibetan-mantra-image10079609